Shanxi: Rescue teams in northern China continued searching on Sunday for two missing workers after a massive gas explosion at a coal mine killed at least 82 people. According to Beyond Time News, the disaster has been described as one of the country’s worst mining accidents in nearly two decades, raising serious concerns over industrial safety standards.
The blast occurred at the Liushenyu shaft in Shanxi province on Friday, where hundreds of miners were underground at the time of the explosion.
Deadly Explosion Strikes Coal Mine in Shanxi
According to Beyond Time News, the explosion took place in a mine operated by the Tongzhou Group. Officials confirmed that 247 workers were underground when the blast occurred, triggering a large-scale emergency response.
Rescue operations began immediately, with hundreds of emergency workers deployed to the site. Medical teams transported more than 120 injured workers to hospitals, many in critical condition.
Authorities confirmed that the death toll has reached 82, while search efforts continue for two remaining missing miners.
Investigation Reveals Serious Safety Violations
Preliminary findings from Chinese authorities suggest that the operating company committed “serious illegal violations” related to safety procedures.
According to Beyond Time News, investigators revealed that more than half of the miners underground were not properly registered before entering the shaft. Standard safety protocols, including facial recognition checks and tracking cards, were reportedly ignored.
Officials have launched a full investigation and stated that those responsible will face strict legal action under national regulations.
Company Under Scrutiny as Worker Raises Concerns
Authorities have placed a company official “under control” as investigations continue into the cause of the explosion.
Meanwhile, miners who previously worked at the site raised concerns about unsafe working conditions. Some workers told international media that they were required to purchase their own safety equipment, including helmets.
One miner described the management as extremely poor and said safety standards were frequently ignored.
According to Beyond Time News, such claims are now part of the broader investigation into workplace negligence at the mine.
Harrowing Accounts From Survivors
Survivors described scenes of panic and confusion immediately after the blast. One injured worker recalled that there was no warning sound before smoke filled the mine shaft.
He said the air quickly became thick with a sulfur-like smell, making it difficult to breathe. Many workers attempted to escape in chaos as visibility dropped inside the tunnel.
Several survivors were later found unconscious before being rescued and transported to hospitals.
Massive Rescue Operation Underway
Hundreds of rescue personnel, including engineers and emergency responders, are working around the clock at the site.
According to Beyond Time News, rescuers have been using specialized equipment and robots to assess underground conditions and search for survivors. Teams are taking turns entering the unstable mine shaft due to hazardous conditions.
Officials said rescue operations will continue “as long as there is hope” of finding survivors.
Government Orders Nationwide Crackdown
In response to the tragedy, China’s State Council has ordered a nationwide crackdown on illegal mining practices and safety violations.
According to Beyond Time News, the directive includes strict action against:
- False safety reporting
- Unregistered underground workers
- Illegal subcontracting
- Weak enforcement of mining regulations
Authorities said companies found violating safety rules will face severe punishment under the law.
One of the Worst Mining Disasters in Years
The Shanxi explosion is being described as the deadliest mining accident in China since 2009, when over 100 workers lost their lives in a similar incident.
China, the world’s largest coal producer and consumer, has improved mine safety over the years, but accidents continue to occur due to regulatory gaps and enforcement challenges.
According to Beyond Time News, industrial safety remains a persistent concern in coal-dependent regions like Shanxi.
Families Await News of Loved Ones
Outside the mine site, families of missing workers continue to wait anxiously for updates. Many have expressed frustration over the lack of information and uncertainty surrounding the fate of their relatives.
One family member told reporters that communication lines to workers went silent immediately after the explosion, leaving them without any clear answers.
Authorities have set up checkpoints near the site as rescue operations continue.
International Reactions
World leaders have expressed condolences following the tragedy.
- Japan’s Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi said she was praying for the rescue of survivors.
- India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed sympathy for the victims’ families.
According to Beyond Time News, global reactions highlight concern over industrial safety and human loss in such large-scale accidents.
Read more:Dar Highlights $13 Billion China Investment Push at Hangzhou Conference
Conclusion
The deadly mine explosion in Shanxi has left China grappling with one of its worst industrial disasters in years. With 82 confirmed dead and two workers still missing, rescue teams continue difficult operations inside unstable underground conditions.
As investigations expand, authorities are focusing on serious safety violations and regulatory failures. According to Beyond Time News, the incident has triggered renewed calls for stricter enforcement of mining safety laws across the country.
FAQs
1. How many people died in the China mine blast?
At least 82 people have been confirmed dead.
2. Where did the explosion happen?
The blast occurred at the Liushenyu coal mine in Shanxi province, China.
3. Are there still missing workers?
Yes, two workers remain missing as rescue operations continue.
4. What caused the explosion?
Authorities are investigating, but early findings point to serious safety violations.
5. What action has the government taken?
China has ordered a nationwide crackdown on illegal mining and safety violations.
Hashtags
#ChinaMineBlast #Shanxi #MiningAccident #BreakingNews #WorldNews #CoalMineDisaster #ChinaNews #RescueOperation #BeyondTimeNews


