ISLAMABAD: The federal government has notified the appointment of three additional judges of the Islamabad High Court (IHC) as permanent judges.
They are likely to take oath on Monday. The Judicial Commission of Pakistan (JCP) on Jan 12 recommended the confirmation of these judges, and their oath-taking was planned for the following day. However, the ceremony was put on hold as President Asif Ali Zardari proceeded abroad and the notification could not be signed.
According to a notification issued by the Ministry of Law and Justice and to be published in the Gazette of Pakistan (Part-III), the president, in exercise of powers under Article 193 of the Constitution, appointed Justice Muhammad Azam Khan, Justice Muhammad Asif and Justice Raja Inaam Ameen Minhas as judges of the IHC with effect from the date they take oath of their offices. The notification was issued on Jan 17.
The appointments come against the backdrop of an internal judicial controversy that surfaced during the JCP proceedings. Senior puisne judge of the IHC, Justice Mohsin Akhtar Kayani, who is also a member of the JCP, had written a letter to IHC Chief Justice Sardar Mohammad Sarfraz Dogar and JCP Chairman Justice Yahya Afridi, opposing the confirmation of the three additional judges.
In his letter, Justice Kayani reportedly raised objections to the performance and competence of the judges under consideration.
Informed sources said that prior to writing the letter, Justice Kayani sought progress and performance reports of the additional judges from the IHC administration in his capacity as a JCP member. However, the record was not initially provided by the IHC and was later supplied by the JCP secretariat, following which the letter was written.
Sources said the JCP discussed both the contents of the letter and the issue of access to judicial performance records during its meeting. Justice Kayani also reiterated his objections during the meeting, reportedly terming his fellow judges “incompetent”. However, the commission rejected the objections by an overwhelming majority.
According to sources, out of 17 JCP members, the three judges secured 13 votes each. Two Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI) members were absent from the meeting, while Justice Munib Akhtar and Justice Kayani did not vote in favour of the confirmations.
Justice Khan and Justice Minhas were appointed as additional judges of the IHC on Jan 17 last year. Justice Asif was initially appointed as an additional judge of the Balochistan High Court on the same date but was later transferred to the IHC along with incumbent Chief Justice Dogar and Justice Khadim Hussain Soomro of the Sindh High Court.
Official data cited during the JCP proceedings shows that Justice Minhas topped the list in terms of case disposal during 2025, deciding 2,039 cases as a single bench. Justice Khan decided 1,841 cases, while Justice Asif disposed of 1,338 cases, figures that were also discussed during the confirmation process.



One thought on “Three permanent judges of IHC notified”
Comments are closed.